Monday, July 30, 2012

The 90's

Being 25 years old, the 90s is a decade I relate to a lot and I'm feeling nostalgic so I'm going to share that with you. The style back then resonated a lot with me. I liked the simplicity of it all. A lot of denim and black, a lot of menswear for the ladies and a lot of emphasis on comfort. 
My mother was a big part of shaping what i call my style today. This is how I remember my mother when I was growing up:

She always wore round sunglasses and for a while wore a beret like the one above. She wore a lot of black jackets paired with floral maxi skirts. I remember watching her walk around hoping one day I would be as beautiful and popular as her.
My mother was and still is a beautiful stylish amazing woman. ( i love you ma.)

Another thing i was exposed to growing up was beautiful ladies:

Who didn't know these gorgeous ladies. They ruled the fashion magazines. Nothing was cooler than ripped jeans and a plain white tee.

 Except for cut off jeans and a black undershirt.

















I was completely enamored by these two girls, I
spent my childhood, adolesent and some of my adult life collecting pictures books movies and clothing of these billionaires. After I saw this movie I only wore my baseball cap backwards.


 This is where I would go most weekends. Now if I want to watch a movie all I need to do is lift my index finger and tap a button.



The Jetsons.. this cartoon was set in the future. It's been 20 years and I'm still waiting for my bubble car.


So who remembers this sound:

That was internet before DSL.



Text messaging in the 90's.



Interiors were kind of a mix of traditional and casual. The forms of furniture pieces were much more feminine.

A picture of the apartment from 'Mad About You'.
Using wicker indoors was very trendy then, wicker usually being something you put outside. A lot of natural colors were also used, browns and beige.



For those of you who recognize this landing it's from the movie 'Home Alone'. I practically grew up on that movie. Most homes in the 90s looked something like this, with all that wallpaper. Everyone had wallpaper, i do wish more people would use wallpaper now.



This armchair reminds me a lot of my childhood. Skirted, cushioned couches were everywhere. Adding to the comfort and femininity of the style then. Our obsession with the modern form hadn't developed so strongly yet.


 Why I needed  to own a bunch of these trolls is beyond me.


I'm the only girl in my family with six brothers. There was definitely the good to that, I got whatever I wanted and never had to share. But there was also the bad. I had to spend my childhood taking  undeserved abuse. This is a picture from my baby album:


I'm the one with with my jaw on the floor.


Yes, the 90's were a special time. Good moments.

No comments: